Friday, December 25, 2009

Sherlock Holmes



1st of all since I have never read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novels, I don't exactly know what the original Sherlock Holmes is like. All I know is that he is a crime solving detective with a sidekick Dr Watson. That's pretty much what I know.

Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock Holmes and Jude Law as Dr Watson. Watching the movie on Christmas Eve. I must say as it was at night I was kind of sleepy, for one second I thought I was going to fall asleep because I was too tired. Luckily, the film kept me awake. Action packed film filled with mystery. I like the way they solve mystery with the detective works and the dialogue was very interesting. I especially love the play of words.For example, there is a time in the movie when Holmes was handcuff naked to the bed by Irene Adler (Rachel McAdams) and was found by the chambermaid.

Holmes is handcuffed to the bed naked with only a pillow covering him. A maid walks in and screams]
Sherlock Holmes: Madame, I need you to remain calm and trust me, I'm a professional. Beneath this pillow lies the key to my release.
[the maid screams again and runs away]

Did anyone get it? Hahahaha....that was funny to my perverted mind...teehee...There were many jokes in between the dialogues using the play of words that if you are fast enough to catch it then you'll realise it. Some parts were meant to be funny and some a little serious.

It was a good movie to be watch if you like actions and a slight comedy combined. The science in this movie is also pretty amazing. How people that time can mistaken science for magic because they knew too little about it. The villian in the movie, Blackwood manipulate the art of science to frighten masses of citizens and try to take over Britain. Holmes trying to find a way to stop him with help from Dr Watson. Besides crime solving, there is a story in the movie which was Dr Watson's engagement to Mary which Holmes disapproves and offended but who is actually really a nice woman. There's also the introduction of Irene Adler, who I was really surprised to be acted by Rachel McAdams, who looks really beautiful by the way. Cunning and the only person to fool Holmes twice and still managed to make him look like a lovesick fool. She has a mission to find something for a Professor Moriarty who was not seen in this movie except for his pistol and cape thus I sense a sequel coming after this. Hahaha.

So, once again Sherlock Holmes solves a crime and save Britain with the help of Dr Watson and gave us one fine show to watch. A movie well suited for the holiday seasons. Nice.

No comments: