Monday, September 03, 2012

Book review: Garden Spell

So 3 long months ago, I promised to update a book review on Sarah Addison Allen's Garden Spell. I kinda forgot about it and scrolling down my blog posts, I just realised I didn't live up to the promise yet.

So here I am trying to live up to expectations.
If you like magical and fantasy book with a pinch bucket of romance, you would probably like this one.
It's interesting to me that I can actually sometimes recognise the way the story would go because I have read several of the author's book.

Garden Spell tells the story of two sisters; magical in their own way but none of those wand waving spells though. Garden spell is actually referring to the garden in the Waverley home which has fruits, herbs and edible flowers that has powers to affect people in different way. (Wouldn't it be cool to have food that can affect people magically?) There's an apple tree which throws apple at people. These apples are not to be eaten because it tells you the future; good or bad and most people sees only bad things. I think this is a twist of the forbidden apple tree in Eve's garden. Hehe.

Claire lives in this home tending to the garden and making wonderful concoctions of food from these herbs and flowers catering to people who want them.

Everything was fine until her sister who disappeared years ago came back with a daughter sending her life out of control. Garden Spells reveals what happens when Sydney returns to Bascom with her young daughter, turning Claire's routine existence upside down. As the sisters reconnect and learn to live and rely on each other for support, they finds romance where they least expected, while Sydney's child, Bay, discovers both the safe home she has longed for and her own surprising gifts. With the help of their elderly cousin Evanelle, endowed with her own abilities- the ability to provide people with things they need at really unpredictable times, the Waverley women redeem the past, embrace the present, and take a joyful leap into the future.

I'm actually looking forward to her other book Sugar Queen which I still can't find in the bookstore. Maybe I should buy online. ^^

Disclaimer: Some parts of the review is taken from GoodReads website. ^^

No comments: