Tuesday, March 08, 2011

127 Hours, Bowling and Rock Cafe

How funny I look in this photo.

Last Friday, my uni-mates and I went for a night trip to Alor Setar. A trip like that cost more than going home to Penang. But I did had fun although I have to say, I was totally freaked out by the way someone drove. Excuse me, I value my life even if you don't. It was raining damn heavily and you drove like 120km/h. Please remind me next time not to sit in that car.

We went for dinner at Rock Cafe which looks nice. The food was just okay though. I shall update about it next time. And oh..we went for midnight bowling. I won :)

We went to watch the 9.15pm screening of 127 Hours. I knew the story behind this movie but watching on a big screen was pretty gruesome. The whole movie is about Aron Ralston, a mountain climber who became trapped by a boulder in Robbers Roost, Utah , for more than five days in early 2003 before amputating his arm with a dull knife. The movie is true story for those of you who don't know about it.

As I knew the whole story it was a bit less suspense to me considering I knew that he will cut his arm and survives. The people in the cinema was seating at the edge of their seats watching the movie I think. It seems pretty interesting for a mostly one-man movie. We can see James Franco, the actor basically almost alone the whole movie.

This whole movie is about Aron, how he got trapped by a boulder and stuck there for 127 hours with only his mountain climbing gear, a multi-tool (which he use to chip away the boulder but it was useless), a walkman, video camera, a bottle of water and some food. As he didn't notify anyone about where he is going, he was only waiting for death to come because his hand was stuck and no one was around for miles.

So, while bordering hallucination and sanity, his past memories and experiences of his life appears in front of him. He began to dream of the future where he sees himself without an arm but living happily with a son. We see him getting serious about really dying there and leaves a message to his family. (I admire his way of being calm and planning his 'escape' from the boulder.) Thus, after five days, he finally gathered enough courage to amputate his arm by breaking it against the boulder and then slowly cutting through it using the blunt knife and pliers. (The scene in the movie was way gruesome especially when he was cutting through his flesh and muscles. Gross~)

Almost bleeding to death, he has to rappel down from the mountain and hike several miles before finally finding a family of hikers that saves him.

The movie ends with real photos and footage of the real Aron Ralston still climbing mountains and including the son who he claims save his life as he decided he wanted to live and see the son that he has dreamt of during his 127 hours.

Would you have had the courage to amputate your arm if you were stuck underneath a boulder? I find myself thinking that if I was trapped, I guess I would have done the same thing as he did if I really found no other option but the fact is it would be so so painful that I don't know if I would have the same courage like he did to do all that.


...

No comments: