Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Day I Got Quarantined

I woke up middle of the night to read an sms saying there's no class tomorrow because of H1N1. Ha....my heart filled with glee over not having to go to class and a slight worry about what's going to happen. It turns out I would wake up 6 in the morning asking my roomie whether there's class or not. No class...good so I fell right back to sleep. I woke up finally at 8 something and couldn't sleep anymore.
So I decided to online. The Internet connection was surprising good this very day, 27th of July 2009. Everyone was eager for news. People are saying there's students infected with H1N1 because of an activity the uni held a few days ago and how we are going to be quarantine for days. Announcements were made for students to go for a health talk and a temperature checkup block by block. As you know, I am sick...still am sadly. I was kind of reluctant to go down for it. What if I got quarantined?
Well, luckily I passed even with flu and cough. Basically H1N1 victims have fever and I don't fortunately. My body temperature was measured using an ear-thermometer to be at 36.8 Celsius...So I was fine. I took a mask just in case. I went home then basically what I did all day
was online...eat....sleep...online...eat...sleep. I had the longest chat conversation I ever had with Loo Wen and the-sometimes-missing Hui Ping...Since Loo Wen was also quarantined in her hostel at Kg Wai like me, we basically were chatting all day with several breaks for food, checkups and showers.
Night-time came and the place gotten miserable not because of the flu but because of the water shortage problem. Most hostels were without water supply and some students came to our house asking whether we have water. I think 4 of them came to my house for a shower...two of them were some seniors I never seen before. Imagine that...desperate enough that you have to go to some unknown house for a shower. Not long after that my house was also without water. People were annoyed and most of them resigned to the fact that the hostel's water supply is horrible.
A flash of rain came after an evening of dark clouds. Heavy rain, lightning and thunder soon followed. Due to the fact that there's no water coming out of the pipes, students bring out pails to save water from the rain. It's actually the 1st time I have seen such a spectacle...students lining pails in the rain to collect water. I joined in the fun of collect some water for shower and cleanliness purposes. I called it fun because I actually manage to save a pail of water before the water was cut off. So I don't really have to do it but I do it anyway.
(See all those pails...)
So all in all, it was an eventful day with lots of complains from students and a wave of fear throughout the hostel because of H1N1. Till now I can see students turning everytime they hear a cough in classes or busses. Classes are resumed except for those classes in Kg Wai. I heard the condition is worse there but I'm not sure. I think they have a few real H1N1 cases there. That's all from UniMAP, the day I got quarantined.
(Sounds like a report...haha)

No comments: